Ok, It's only taken a few months, but I have finally caught the blog fever:) Maybe between Will and myself we can have some updates on our family more often! Cali, you have a gift for writing. When I read your postings I feel as though I am there with you experiencing all of your joys and trials. BTW Gideon is one of the cutest baby boys I've ever seen and I work at the baby store! Erica, I love laughing at the true funny stories that you take the time to journal about your kids.
We have lived in Kansas City for the past four years. We are therefore blessed to be so very near to many of the Church Historic sites such as the Independence Visitors Center and the Liberty Jail. When I (Stephanie) was in high school we drove from Indiana to Utah so my sister and I could attend EFY at BYU. My dad is a big church history buff and we traveled the Mormon Trail all the way west getting out of the car at every historical road sign and river crossing. Of all of the sites I saw I was most touched by the Spirit at Liberty Jail, imagining what all Joseph Smith and company experienced there for many months. The D & C chapters that came from this time are some of my favorites. We also stopped at Winter Quarters along the way. This statue was there at that time.

When I saw this statue at the age of 15 it moved me with so many emotions. For those who are not familiar with it, it depicts a mother and father burying their small child. They built a small temple in Omaha which is only 3 hours from where we live. I have been able to go twice now (Will still hasn't had the chance). The pioneer cemetery is literally right behind the temple and there is a new Visitor's center across the street. Seeing this statue again 10 years later and being a mother myself now it struck me in an even deeper, more powerful and meaningful way. One that words can't truly express. I'm truly grateful for all of the many sacrifices the pioneers made. Actually the theme of that year's EFY was "Living the Legacy."

You can't see the detail in this picture, but the 12 circles in the center are stained glass depicting scenes unique to the Saints time at Winter Quarters. One is of Brigham Young, one is of the local Indians that aided them, one is of a wagon of course for example.
There is a TON of symbolism with the Winter Quarters Temple which I'm sure is true of all of the temples, but this temple is very unique. One of the temple workers was kind enough to explain some of it to me. There were a lot of trees and vines art.
This is the stained glass that you can see in the chapel. It was very beautiful. There are five flowers shown near the bottom of each panel. They represent the five state flowers of the five states the Pioneers crossed.
These pictures were taken in October and as you can see the landscaping was still beautiful. Up the hill beyond the terraced garden is the Pioneer Cemetery.



2 comments:
So glad to see the blog bug has bitten. I too am a big Church History buff but have never been to these sites. Thanks for posting them.
Stephanie, Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! Thanks for posting these pics. Although my brother lives in Independence, I have never been up to Liberty Jail. Everytime we travel back East we always seem to be in too big of a hurry to go see the historical sights.
Post a Comment