
Benjamin has been going to the same evening daycare center for years while I teach piano lessons and Will is working and I have never been called by them. So when my phone rang while I was teaching and I saw their name on the caller ID I knew it couldn't be good. He fell on the playground while jumping/running on raised stepping stones and hit his head. When I saw how long the gash was I decided to take him in to Children's Mercy Urgent Care just to be on the safe side (it wasn't deep at all, just on the surface). 3 hours later we walked out with 5 staples. Despite all the waiting Ben had a great time and was very brave, didn't even cry! They brought in a child life specialist with her show and tell box and she showed him everything they were going to do so he played with the stapler and knew what sound it made, etc. And then she read him a Bolt book with the sound buttons while they cleaned him up. He was so distracted and tuned into the book he didn't care what they were doing to his head. The doctor rolled him over and said "All done, big guy!" and Ben got upset because the story wasn't over yet! He got a new Hot Wheels car out of the prize closet and walked out very happy about the whole evening.
3 comments:
What a trooper Ben!! Sounds like they took good care of him & he is a tough guy. I bet Ben thinks that picture is pretty cool (or he will in a little while :) I will keep waiting for the baby post!!!! HOPE ALL IS WELL! Excited for you guys & soon your new addition xoxo
Wow! Head wounds are so scary! But good for Ben. I got a little queasy just looking at the photos.
I'm glad it was on his head where he couldn't see it. He normally freaks out over blood with normal scrapes ;)
Post a Comment