For the better part of my life I have been fascinated by poetry. I have read Shakespeare, Dickinson, Lawson, Henery, Denver, Emerson and many more. I love the complex ways in which simple words can be spun together to describe even the most poignant emotion. I have even at times (when the mood so strikes) set my hand to the composition of my own works of art. In all this time the love song continues to vex me. I am both fascinated and frustrated by this theme at the same time. In fact I have completed a grand total of three poems that have even a remote resemblance to love. When I was young this did not overly trouble me as I figured inspiration for such would come if in when I ever experienced something other then plutonic love. Just for giggles and grins I thought I would share my two pre-Stephanie Works.
There was a knight dressed in pure light
His heart was a sunray
Who met a maiden clothed in dark
Her soul was made of day
She fell in love with this bold man
Afraid to let him know
She plunged a knife into his heart
To know if love would flow
Glorious light tore away night
To mingle with her sole
And pushed away her darkest fears
That smudged her like black coal
Though they were torn away my friend
She gleams with his loaned light
Round the globe they seek the other
Sharing the velvet night.
Then later that year;
From out the dark I heard a song
A dream but twice as sweet
It shined a light on the runner’s night
That evoked the sleepless sleep
Within the song the night did pace
With two wings of golden wheat
The balm of fire set walls ablaze
And pierced the runners keep
It is to my great shame that I have been married now for Eight years, and I have yet to write a poem worthy of my wife. Sure I cobbled together something last year for Mother's Day, but honestly it was not a work of which I am proud. I was less than pleased when I learned that she got a hold of the unfinished version and posted it.
So here I am determined to write something. Anything! And being quite frustrated that I am unable to weave even a simple love song.
There was a knight dressed in pure light
His heart was a sunray
Who met a maiden clothed in dark
Her soul was made of day
She fell in love with this bold man
Afraid to let him know
She plunged a knife into his heart
To know if love would flow
Glorious light tore away night
To mingle with her sole
And pushed away her darkest fears
That smudged her like black coal
Though they were torn away my friend
She gleams with his loaned light
Round the globe they seek the other
Sharing the velvet night.
Then later that year;
From out the dark I heard a song
A dream but twice as sweet
It shined a light on the runner’s night
That evoked the sleepless sleep
Within the song the night did pace
With two wings of golden wheat
The balm of fire set walls ablaze
And pierced the runners keep
It is to my great shame that I have been married now for Eight years, and I have yet to write a poem worthy of my wife. Sure I cobbled together something last year for Mother's Day, but honestly it was not a work of which I am proud. I was less than pleased when I learned that she got a hold of the unfinished version and posted it.
So here I am determined to write something. Anything! And being quite frustrated that I am unable to weave even a simple love song.
Perhaps I should admit defeat and attempt a simple love Haiku.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream
William E Herrington
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream
2 comments:
I love you to pieces poetry or no poetry :) That was one of the things about you that made me fall in love with you. Thank you for going without sleep with our newborn and working so hard so that I can stay home with our boys. I LOVE YOU, Steph
I feel like I should comment, but I'm honestly at a loss....
Post a Comment