Sunday, February 28, 2010

Runaway Thyroid

I am very behind on my pictures at the moment. I've been too busy living life to take time to document it. My baby is growing up WAY TOO FAST!! Logan is now 8 months old, has mastered crawling and is all about pulling up to standing and cruising these days.

I was feeling very tired all the time even after Logan was sleeping through the night and I had an enormous appetite and I thought maybe that was a little odd, but who can remember what "normal" feels like? 9 months of being pregnant and tired, 4 months of newborn exhaustion, and I was nursing and you're supposed to eat 500 extra calories for that, but boy I felt like a pig! So I thought maybe it was all in my head and I was just being lazy. I mean who really wants to get up and clean house and do laundry when you can be a couch potato. But I got a sinus infection and went to the doctor and brought up feeling fatigued every day. I can't remember the last time I woke up energized ready to start the day, I always feel dragging. So they ran a blood panel to test for anemia and thyroid function.

And obviously it came back abnormal or I wouldn't be writing this post. The thyroid controls your mood, metabolism, and a bunch of other things. I am producing double the amount that your body needs and my brain is releasing none of the TSH the pitutary gland is supposed to (trying to stop the thyroid) which is why I am so tired! Yea, it's not all in my head!!

So I got sent to a specialist who thinks I probably have Graves' Disease, an autoimmune disease probably brought on by the pregnancy and she ran further bloodwork to test this theory. Your body makes special thyroid antibodies. In a woman over 20 you should have under 20. I have 1,240! My body is trying to kill off my crazy thyroid. So I am on a prescription medicine for now, and have been feeling a bit more energized. Long-term treatment they might kill my thyroid with radioactive iodine (which I will have to send my kids away for a week because infants can't be around radioactive mommy) And then I will have to take a synthetic thyroid medicine the rest of my life. It is far easier to treat an underactive thyroid than an overactive thyroid.

So either way I'm 28 and stuck taking pills everyday the rest of my life JOY.

2 comments:

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

I wish I had words of wisdom for you right now. It will all turn out well for you I am sure. At least it is something they have a treatment for. Blessings on you.

Stephanie H. said...

Apparently the medicine worked a little too well because my latest numbers came back way too low so they have taken me off of the prescription for now and I get retested in 6 weeks